This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Validation of EDIFACT

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Hello,
i am trying to validate a edifact document against the corresponding xsd file. In edifiact there are information about the representation of the elements (e.g. an..3 -> alphanumeric with max 3 char). I am expecting therefor in the xsd file the following part: <xs:maxLength value="3" />. But there ist nothing ...
I want to check the elements on their length.
Do I have to expand the xsd file?
Do I understand the concept correctly, or have I missed something?

Sincerely Peter

Thank your for providing this tool to open source.
Feb 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Hey Peter,

I am searching for free x12(835, 837 etc) validator since last 3 months. Is EdiFabric works for that ?

Is it possible for you to give me some direction on best HIPPA validator out there. Is it possible to share code sample for validator ?

Thanks,
Anand Patel
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Hi Peter,

Yes you can validate EDI messages against the XSD. First you need to convert the EDI message to XML using edifabric and then you can write your own code to validate against the XML schema.

In XSD the repetition constraints are minOccurs and maxOccurs. If both are missing then the default values are used, for both of them default is 1.
Optional is marked with minOccurs = 0.
Unlimited is marked with maxOccurs = unbounded.

All these are present in the XSD'd, but not in the classes.

Regards,
Kamen
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Hi Anand,

ediFabric does not parse\validate HIPPA messages yet. This functionality is in the list for future improvements, I simply don't have the time to work on other formats.

Regards,
Kamen